COVID-19: Stay alert to scams
Trading Standards have announced that cases of doorstep crimes are on the rise due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Fake and dangerous; hand sanitisers, face masks and swabbing kits being sold online and door to door.
- Charity collections supposedly helping the vulnerable.
- Fake text messages claiming to be from the Government issuing the individual with a fake payout or fine for leaving their home. Neither are genuine – ignore and delete them.
- DO NOT click on links within emails or text messages.
- Apply the ‘hover test’ to emails to check their actual origin.
- Look carefully at spelling and grammar – poor spelling and bad grammar is unlikely from a genuine company.
- Apply the usual processes when making changes or payments COVID-19 testing kits are only offered by the NHS.
- There is currently (as at May 2020) no vaccine or cure for COVID-19.
- Be aware of overpriced or fake goods such as, hand sanitiser or PPE.
Living with dementia at any time brings challenges and Coronavirus is making daily life much harder. If you need support and advice, Alzheimer's Society is continuing to help those in need.
The Dementia Connect Support Line can be used to contact trained advisors, for guidance and wellbeing calls on 03331503456.
You can also find a range of guidance on different issues over on their website.
Dementia Talking Point is an online community where anyone affected by dementia can find support from others in similar situations.
Help people in isolation stay in touch and support those affected by dementia.
Want to quit smoking?
Whether you’re choosing to give up smoking for health reasons, financial motivations or to protect the health of close family around you, Everyone Health can offer a helping hand.
There are two FREE programmes available:
- The 12 week stop smoking programme for over 50s is for 50+ tobacco smokers living within Staffordshire.
- A 12 week service for pregnant ladies and their partners, led by a specialist, stop smoking in pregnancy, midwife, who is able to provide advice and guidance throughout the pregnancy.
Both services include FREE weekly telephone support, as well as a tailored programme of FREE nicotine replacement products and medication, where suitable. 24 hour support and motivation is also available via a smoking cessation app.
You can also find more information on their website.
Staffordshire Warmer Homes
Even though the weather outside is getting warmer you could receive fully funded central heating installed into your home.
Staffordshire Warmer Homes is an initiative managed by Staffordshire County Council to deliver funded first time central heating systems to eligible homes across Staffordshire. To deliver this initiative they are working in partnership with, E.ON and local district and borough councils from around Staffordshire.
To see if you are eligible and apply visit www.staffordshirewarmerhomes.co.uk
Manage your Health from your Phone
Keele University have developed a new app to help you manage your health conditions from your smart phone.
Using interactive quizzes and information resources, the app downloads updates to help patients with asthma, COPD, diabetes and back pain.
Please can all samples be returned to the surgery before 10.00am.
If you have given your consent and we have a note of your mobile number, you will receive a text with the result of your blood test. We would like to point out that if your blood sample is for a number of tests, you will receive a text for each result. You may receive more than one text saying your test is normal and one to say a test is abnormal. Please contact the practice if you receive a text indicating an abnormal result.
If you are phoning the surgery for test results, please do so after 11am.
Kindly note that as from the 1st of April 2015 the Surgery will no longer be accepting cheques. We do have the option of payment being made by debit card.
You can book an appointment to see the Practice Nurse on line. Kindly note, however, that these appointments are 10 minute slots and should only be booked if you require to see the Nurse for any of the following:
- Routine Blood Pressure Checks
- Contraceptive Pill Check
- Blood tests, including INR’s
- Weight Watcher referral
- Gym referral.
How Information about you helps us to provide better care
Confidential information from your medical records can be used by the NHS to improve the services offered so we can provide the best possible care for everyone.
This information along with your postcode and NHS number but not your name, are sent to a secure system where it can be linked with other health information.
This allows those planning NHS services or carrying out medical research to use information from different parts of the NHS in a way which does not identify you.
You have a choice. If you are happy for your information to be used in this way you do not have to do anything. If you have any concerns or wish to prevent this from happening, please speak to practice staff or ask at reception for a copy of the leaflet “How information about you helps us to provide better care”.
More information can be found here www.nhs.uk/caredata
You are now able to attend a cervical screening in the evenings or at weekends.
Appointments are available at:
- Leek Moorlands Hospital
- Haywood and Longton Cottage Hospital Hubs.
For more information call 01782987585, find a time and place convenient for you and call your receptionist to book an appointment.